Saturday, October 12, 2013

SourceTree: My new favorite Git GUI

I've started a new job, so I've been offline for a while. But I want to give a quick shout-out to Atlassian SourceTree.

I like Git, and I'm not afraid of the command line, but I'd rather use faster, more informative GUI tools if they exist. I've been using GitHub for Windows for my projects stored on GitHub. I learned about SourceTree at work and, now that I know it also integrates with GitHub, I've switched over at home as well.

GitHub for Windows is very simple, which is an advantage when you're just getting started with Git. But I find certain things can only be done through the GitHub web interface or on the command line. SourceTree, on the other hand, has a lot more power to it. As just one example, you can easily pick chunks and specific lines of a file to include as a commit.

If you like a GUI front-end to your Git, but you want a bit more power and elegance, check out SourceTree.

No comments:

Post a Comment