This past week or so I've been implementing my previously-mentioned Habit Master design.
So far, things are going slowly but smoothly. I decided to divide my design into three apps: habits, users, and rewards. I first defined the habit and schedule models, some unit tests for them, and got them setup for admin view access. I also defined a User model before I realized it would be a much better idea to reuse Django's existing auth system for that. I still have a users app as a good place to put the views and page templates associated with account creation, login, and logout. I learned more about how templates work, so I have a base page template I'm inheriting from. I've also sorted out how static files work for things like style sheets and html5shiv.js. I'll eventually get Twitter Bootstrap into that mix too, but I'm focusing on functionality first.
There have been no major obstacles or bugs so far (knock wood). It's just been slow due to the general learning curve. Though I feel like I had a comfortable conceptual overview thanks to earlier exercises this semester, I still had to skim through the tutorial again as I completed each step for this project. I've also been diving deeper into the Django documentation for things like the auth system, view decorators (a bit like Java annotations), and request object details. I think Django could have provided more built-in help with my login form, but I haven't dug into that yet. Overall, I still like Django and its documentation.
I've been reading the HTML 5 spec to pick up some of the many new tags and throw them into the mix too.
There have also been a few toolchain improvements along the way. For example, I learned that
git add . doesn't remove deleted files from the repository. To handle this, I learned more about
git add -u, which will update all modified and deleted files but not stage any new additions, and
git add -A, which will properly stage all changes. I've also been improving my virtualbox linux environment. For example, I found that KDE's Kate editor does allow to keyboard binding customization after all: you just have to go to Settings -> Configure Shortcuts... instead of Settings -> Configure Kate... to find them.
Hopefully things continue to go well. It doesn't seem like I have much to show at this point, but it feels like I've touched all the major parts at this point--apps, settings, models, tests, views, templates, urls, static files, and deploying to Heroku--so the rest should hopefully just be fleshing out more of the same. The next two or three weeks will tell.